On March 8, it became known that the 29-year-old singer Manizha will perform at the Eurovision Song Contest this year. The news came as a surprise not only to the singer’s fans, but also to herself – the victory in the national selection was a pleasant surprise for her. SPLETNIK.RU has collected the most interesting facts about the singer and is ready to tell about them in my material.
one. Manizha was born in Tajikistan. Her family fled to Russia when she was three years old: their home in Dushanbe was hit by a shell during the civil war. Manizhi has five brothers and sisters.
Manizha with mom
2. Manizha is a psychologist by education (like her mother). She graduated from the Russian State University for the Humanities in Moscow.
3. She was inspired to study music by her grandmother, whose surname (Sangin) she bears. It was she who saw talent in her granddaughter. But Manizhi’s father, a doctor by training, was opposed to his daughter studying music, as he adhered to Muslim traditions.
four. Her first pseudonym was Rukola. At the age of 16, she released her first album, and at 20 presented her second disc. Then she left the project.
five. After that, she began performing with the group “Assai”, and then became a member of the group Krip De Shin.
6. For some time Manizha lived in London, where she studied vocals. There she met producer Mike Spencer, who worked with Kylie Minogue. However, their cooperation did not work out.
7. Manizha gained wide popularity thanks to instagram, in which she began to publish covers of famous songs.
eight. Among the musicians who inspire her, Manija names the leader of Radiohead Thom Yorke, Nina Simone, Bjork and others.
nine. In 2019, Manizha became an ambassador for the Give Life charity foundation, and at the end of last year, she became the first Russian goodwill ambassador of the UN Refugee Agency.
10. She pays great attention to the problem of domestic violence and speaks about it in her work.
eleven. Manija has released a free Silsila mobile app to help victims of domestic violence.
12. At the Eurovision Song Contest, the singer will perform the song Russian Woman – in Russian. The last time Anastasia Prikhodko sang in Russian at Eurovision was 12 years ago.
13. Last year, Manizha was included in the Forbes rating “30 promising Russians under the age of 30”.