Reading time 7 minutes
In this article, we will analyze the basic methods of effective communication. What is the psychology of communicating with people?
It is necessary to master the methods of effective communication, both in everyday life and in doing business. A person needs to be able to communicate correctly, to be able to listen, offer, persuade and express their thoughts. Possession of effective communication methods enables a person to find the necessary connections, motivate to action, sometimes even manipulate and win over to his side.
<< Table of Contents >>
Effective communication is based on respect for the interlocutor, the ability to listen and try to understand his words, feelings and emotions. This will help determine what a person needs and what he wants.
Effective communication methods are verbal and non-verbal. TO verbal ways impacts on a person include words, the meaning of speech. But facial expressions, gestures, tone, intonation, volume and timbre of the voice are non-verbal communication…
Sociability – the necessary quality of people to establish business and everyday connections, relationships. It is also a method of influencing people, but for it to work, you first need to establish contact with the listener. Contact must be established both physically and psychologically in order to build trust in oneself.
Methods used for effective communication
- It is necessary to create a calm atmosphere, stop being nervous, since your state is instantly transmitted to the interlocutor or audience in front of which you need to speak. You also need to create conditions in which nothing would distract you from the conversation or attract the attention of the audience.
- To begin with, convey your situation to the interlocutor and allow the person to express their opinion about his attitude towards her. Based on this information, now you can express your opinion to the interlocutor or opponent. Having learned in advance a person s attitude to a particular topic, it is much easier to influence a person.
- Another effective communication method is inclusion in the situation. Tell the person a story from your life with a similar ending.
- It is very important to learn not to judge a person, not to hang a label on him. Try to understand what he is saying without distorting and interpreting the information in your own way. To do this, do not hesitate to ask questions: â€œDid I understand you correctly? What did you mean by that? etc”
- If you need to convince a person, tell him a few life stories with the ending you need. Refer to reputable sources of information in your speech.
- Help the person draw the right conclusions and explain the benefits of solving a specific problem in a new way. Be direct about your intentions and voice your proposal.
- After the end of the negotiations or speech, say that it was pleasant for you to communicate, and you intend to continue cooperation. Regardless of the outcome of the conversation, you are ready to provide help or service at any time.
Impact of non-verbal communication on effective communication
The subconscious of a person perceives non-verbal signs as more sincere. More than half of the information a person perceives from non-verbal sources. Therefore, it is important to learn to master non-verbal methods of effective communication.
- Repetition of the interlocutor s gestures helps to establish contact faster and build trust.
- To keep distance at least half a meter, so as not to violate the personal space of a person. If you see each other not for the first time and the contact is already established. Then you can touch the person or pat on the shoulder.
- During a conversation don t touch your nose and lips… People perceive these gestures as signs of a lie.
- Postures and gestures during conversation should be open.… This demonstrates your kindness and sincerity.
- Try not to speak fast or slow., do not speak too loudly and pronounce the words clearly.
- Don t use the “not” particle, this sets the interlocutor against you. Say better: “I agree with you, but …” than “I disagree or you are wrong.”
- When you listen to the interlocutor, lean forward slightly and nod occasionally… This is a sign that you agree with the interlocutor and are ready to cooperate.
Effective communication from the point of view of psychology
A person learns to communicate from early childhood. Communication helps a person survive. There are people who know how to establish contacts from childhood. But knowledge of the essence of the psychology of communication helps everyone to better understand themselves and those around them, to get joy from communication, from receiving new information and the benefits of friendly and business communication.
You need to be able to communicate correctly with any people, even with arrogant and aggressive minded. Let s look at the main aspects in psychology that help make communication effective.
- A person must be self-sufficient, understand his own value and the value of his personal opinion. In turn, also understand the value of the interlocutor s opinion. Respect his outlook on life.
- When the interests and desires of the interlocutors coincide, the communication goes smoothly. But how to behave when a conflict is brewing?
- When communicating, a person should feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Don t be afraid to express your feelings and emotions. Shyness, stiffness and insecurity make communication boring and uninteresting.
- In communication, it is important to show care and respect for both yourself and the interlocutor
- The interest in the conversation and your curiosity allows the interlocutor to tell more about himself. You should always try to find positive qualities in people, then interest in a person will manifest itself.
- Openness and sincerity in communicating with loved ones are simply necessary. Otherwise, any conversation loses its meaning.
- You need to learn to accept yourself and the other person as they are. In this case, you can not be afraid to remain yourself and not adapt to the opinion of another person. Both you and he are entitled to your point of view. If you are too emotional, then do not support conversations about politics, religion or other ideological topics.
- Work with emotions… The practice of meditation will help you with this. It is necessary that you can maintain inner peace and privacy.
- Keep your distance depending on how familiar you are with the person… Do not violate either your own or someone else s personal space.
- Communication is not only pleasant friendly conversations, but also the opportunity to do business, resolve issues… Therefore, you must take into account the characteristics of the character and profession of the interlocutor. The teacher will always teach, the person in power will command and control, the doctor will look for diseases.
Effective communication techniques from Dale Carnegie
Dale Carnegie is known throughout the world as the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People. The methods of effective communication recommended by the psychologist are very popular, as they are relevant and useful for everyone. Let s take a look at the top ten methods of effective communication:
- Be a good listener. Before expressing or imposing your opinion, it is better to hear the opinion of the interlocutor on a certain topic. This will help not only to endear a person to himself, but also to anticipate his reaction to a particular topic in advance.
- Show genuine interest in the other person, ask him questions. In this case, he will express as much information about himself as possible. This will build confidence in yourself and will be able to redirect the conversation in the direction you want.
- Be diplomatic, do not get carried away with criticism. Talk more about agreeing with the interlocutor, but in some nuances you think a little differently. Speak softly and don t focus on the person s flaws. Ask questions so that the other person answers them in the affirmative. This will help you gain agreement in the course of the conversation.
- Never argue. Hear other people s opinions and show respect. Perhaps there is something you really missed or overlooked. There are never winners in a dispute. Everyone stays with his own opinion, but it is worth hearing the opposite opinion.
- If you want a person to do something, then you need to make him want it. Awaken the person s interest and desire to achieve what you need…
When fishing, without thinking about my own predilections, I put on the hook not a strawberry and cream, but a worm. Â© Dale Carnegie
- Do not try to convey your idea to the end.… Unobtrusively tell about your idea, and let the person himself light up with it and develop this idea. Let him think she belongs to him. Then he will selflessly want to bring it to life.
- When listening to a person s problem, put yourself in their shoes.… This will help you quickly understand and understand its essence.
- Never give orders, it infringes upon a person s pride. Better ask him questions, and let him decide how to cope with this or that task. This develops creative thinking, and relieves you of resentment from subordinates.
- Tell the person how valuable and important they are.… Self-esteem and a sense of importance are great incentives to work.
- To draw attention to your ideas, present them brightly. and clearly. For example, as in advertising. A boring presentation with graphs and numbers will leave everyone indifferent. A vivid presentation will draw attention to your idea.
Dale Carnegie s effective communication methods help people become more successful and influential in communication, avoid conflicts and disputes, and gain confidence in their words and actions.
Psychology of communication with impudent people
In life we ??meet different people, and we must be ready for any communication. Often on our way of life there are impudent people – these are people who shamelessly and impudently behave in order to achieve their own goals and benefits. They do not take anyone s opinion into account, do not care about the feelings of other people and believe that they are always right.
You can behave differently with impudent people. For example, respond with rudeness to rudeness, ignore, be manipulated, put in place. It all depends on the situation and who is in front of you. To get nasty to the boss will be fraught, for example.
- The first thing you need to do is not be afraid to say no. You need to be tough and not be led to any persuasion and manipulation. If you don t understand rejection, start ignoring it.
- Try not to sink to the level of insolence, no matter how much you want to be rude. So you will be involved in his dirty game and will hardly be able to verbally defeat a born boor.
- The main goal of the impudent person is to unbalance you, to force you to act as he needs. So try to remain patient and calm. Drive him to madness with your calmness and let him go looking for another victim.
- Never let anyone violate your personal boundaries and meddle in their own business. You have every right to protect your personal space.
You must understand that all methods of effective communication are based on understanding yourself and the interlocutor. You must learn to understand people, understand who you are dealing with. In any case, respect, acceptance and awareness of the value of each person is the basis of successful communication.